Re: [jgit-dev] Upgrading to JGit 3.0, package migration to 'internal'

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Roberto Tyley <roberto.tyley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just reporting back about the impact of updating one project (The BFG) that
> depends on JGit to use a version from the stable-3.0 branch, where many
> packages have moved to be internal:
>
> almost everything is fine, no problem
> only exception is where the BFG scans packfiles to find big blobs to target
> for removal. The code uses
> org.eclipse.jgit.internal.storage.file.{ObjectDirectory, PackFile}, and so
> must now depend on internal packages.

Not unexpected.

> to be honest, I can live with calling a bit of stuff from 'internal'
> packages, if the only negative consequence for me is having to cope with a
> bit of API churn.

The API churn here will not be more than it has been in the past. This
part of JGit is actually very stable and unlikely to be heavily
modified. But I wanted to document that its internal details
applications should try to avoid relying on, and we may modify its API
between releases if we need to.

> It would only really be troublesome if classes/methods
> became (package-)private and thus only invokable by reflection.

This won't happen. What is public is staying public.

Back to the top