Re: [jgit-dev] JGit slow?

2012/12/19 Shawn Pearce <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Thomas Hallgren <thomas@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> We are missing the local mode optimization. Doing it the way CGit does
> it from Java will be difficult, CGit uses filesystem hardlinks to
> efficiently copy object and pack files on the same filesystem. Java
> doesn't support these.
>
> It does in Java 7, on filesystems that support it:
>
> http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/nio/file/Files.html#createLink(java.nio.file.Path,%20java.nio.file.Path)
>
> And Java 6 will reach EOL in two months according to Oracle:
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html
>
> Not saying that it should be abandoned but would moving to Java 7 in newer
> releases of jgit be problematic?

JGit still targets Java 5... :-)

We might be able to step up to a minimum of 6 or 7 based on the
minimum version of Java required to run the oldest Eclipse version
EGit supports.

with EGit 2.2 which I will release today the minimum Eclipse platform version is Indigo (3.7.2).
I checked the minimum Java version required by Indigo platform bundles:

org.eclipse.core.resources     J2SE-1.5
org.eclipse.osgi                     J2SE-1.5

org.eclipse.core.filesystem    J2SE-1.4
org.eclipse.team.core            J2SE-1.4
org.eclipse.equinox.common  J2SE-1.4

org.eclipse.core.runtime         J2SE-1.3
org.eclipse.ui                         J2SE-1.3
org.eclipse.swt                      J2SE-1.3

so it looks like EGit 2.2 's Eclipse platform needs at least J2SE-1.5

--
Matthias

Back to the top