Re: [jgit-dev] PreReceive hook ReceiveCommand rejection messages

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 12:37,  <james.moger@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi JGit Team,
>
> PreReceive rejection.
>
> receiveCommand.setResult(Result.REJECTED_OTHER_REASON, "this git server
> does not like you")
>
> I expected that the reason would be displayed client-side.

It does.

>  This does
> not appear to be the case.

What version of Git? There is a bug in the C Git HTTP client that
causes errors when *all* branches fail to not display on the client. I
patched this only recently. :-(

>  The JavaDoc for sendError suggests that
> setResult(result, reason) is the appropriate technique for reporting a
> rejection error message to the client.  Is Gitblit doing something
> incorrect here?  Should the Gitblit receive hook call sendError manually
> if a prereceive command result is one of the REJECTED enum values?

It works fine on the server. The client helpfully throws away all
error messages when there is an error.

A work-around might be to also use ReceivePack.sendError() to send an
error message to the client. This should show up on the terminal. But
there are race conditions in the client.

Back to the top