Re: [jgit-dev] [egit-dev] release 1.2 ahead

Matthias Sohn wrote:
> I tried testing this but couldn't find an example where I would
> see a difference when using this fix. Could you describe
> a simple example where I can see how it fails without your patch and
> succeeds with your patch ? Or provide a small test repository
> containing
> such an example.

It's a bit involved, but here goes:

1. Configure your Eclipse to use ISO-8859-1 as the workspace encoding. One way
   of doing that is to add -Dfile.encoding=ISO-8859-1 to eclipse.ini.

2. Clone the following repo:

   https://github.com/robinst/egit-mergetool-encoding-problem

3. Merge the Branch "origin/feature". There will be a conflict in test.xml.

4. Start the Merge Tool on the conflicting file, and select the HEAD radio
   option.

Now, the left side will have the encoding messed up, as it uses the workspace
encoding (ISO-8859-1) instead of the file encoding (UTF-8). The right side is
decoded correctly. If there are more lines in the file with non-ASCII
characters, they will all show differences, because the diff view works on the
decoded contents.

With the proposed change, the left side also uses the file encoding, which
leads to correct decoding, and no spurious diffs.

Regards,
  Robin Stocker

> 2011/12/1 Robin Stocker < robin@xxxxxxxxx >
> Chris Aniszczyk wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 5:32 AM, Matthias Sohn
> > < matthias.sohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
> > > Release JGit / EGit 1.2 is coming closer, we agreed with
> > > Wayne to have the release review on Dec 21. This means
> > > we need an approved IP log and release documentation
> > > until Dec 14.
> > > So I will fork stable-1.2 soon (Wednesday or Thursday)
> > > and then submit the IP logs for review. Contributor patches
> > > which should reach 1.2 should be ideally submitted before
> > > I submit the IP logs so that these don't get invalidated.
> >
> > Before we release 1.2, does anyone have stuff they want in 1.2?
>
> It would be nice if this fix for an encoding bug was included:
>
> http://egit.eclipse.org/r/#change,4656

Back to the top