Re: [jgit-dev] RawTextComparator hash is bad

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Robin Rosenberg
<robin.rosenberg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> torsdagen den 23 september 2010 20.42.13 skrev  Shawn O. Pearce:
>> RawTextComparator's hash() method is horrible for Java source code.
>> Completely horrible.
>
> Sun's HashMap tries to improve bad hash functions by rehashing the hash
> code,  Maybe you too could do that.

That's like putting lipstick on a pig.  Its still a pig.

I did try though.  I didn't use the same method as HashMap, but I used
a different form that exists in the Linux kernel, that's what the "L"
lines were in the test results.  It helps, but not as good as having a
better hash function.

--
Shawn.

Back to the top