Re: [jgit-dev] JGit without local filesystem

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Matthias Sohn
<matthias.sohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2010/6/17 Shawn Pearce <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> I'm starting to do the refactoring required to support JGit running on
>> different storage technologies beyond just the local filesystem.  The
>> bulk of the work is in [1], where I pull a lot of methods out of
>> Repository up into a more abstract base class called GitRepository.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I hate this name "GitRepository".
>>
>> I would rather rename the current Repository class to FileRepository,
>> and then make Repository available for this new abstract base class.
>> Its a pretty severe API breakage for applications, including EGit.
>>

>> [1] http://egit.eclipse.org/r/886
>
> Yes, but if it's a pure rename I think the advantage going for clean names
> outweighs
> the effort to adapt the existing code (my 2 ct). The main hassle will be to
> adapt all
> the pending changes.

How much do we really have in-flight right now?  Its going to be a bit
of a hassle, but we might be able to just put through a pure-rename
change very rapidly, and then let everyone rebase on top of it...

--
Shawn.

Back to the top