Re: [jgit-dev] Re: [egit-dev] RFC: How to display "detached" HEAD in Git Label Decorations

2010/5/10 Shawn O. Pearce <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"Kinzler, Mathias" <mathias.kinzler@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> The remaining question would be how to react in cases when there is more than one tag and/or remote branch for the same commit.

If there is both a remote branch and a tag, use the tag.

If there are multiple tags, use the tag with the most recent
tagger date.  If none of the tags have a tagger (these are older
style tags), sort them by name and pick the last one.

If there are no tags, but multiple remote branches, sort them by
name and pick the last one.

> Alternatively, we could always just show the shortened commit id with ellipsis and offer a specific UI to display tags/remote branches that point to that commit.

I don't think this case of multiple refs per commit shows up often
enough to do this.  But, it might be useful for some users.  Me,
I'd probably never use it.

The commit graph in the history view already shows this information.
I think that should be sufficient.

--
Matthias

Back to the top