Re: [jgit-dev] JGit Client API

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Shawn O. Pearce <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Bill Burdick <bill.burdick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What about at least logging a message with the finalize method of the
> builder if you don't send that final message?
>
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 4:56 AM, Shawn Pearce <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > The only problem with the builder approach is, its easy to forget that
> > final verb method to fire the actual action.

And the problem with finalize is that overriding it causes the object
to enter the finalization queue, which slows down GC considerably.
For small, lightweight, fast allocate-use-delete type objects,
you DO NOT want to override finalize().

Note the order of this response :).

I think if you were to profile that, you'd find that overriding finalize on such a coarse-level object as a commit command builder would have no noticeable effect on performance.  Your file operations will have much more of an effect.

Bill

Back to the top