Re: [jetty-users] SolrJ/Solr: HTTP protocol violation: Authentication challenge without WWW-Authenticate header

FWIW, it is unlikely to be an issue with the internals of the Jetty server; that may seem like a large number, but it is minor compared to other jetty usages in the wild.

Friction points between Jetty and Solr on the server side are possible or, more likely, an issue with the client.  With Jetty, it is never a good idea to double configuration values and see what happens, especially regarding HTTP configurations. You can bump header buffer sizes easily, but thread counts and pools should only be raised based on careful analysis and measurements.

Cheers,
Jesse

--
jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@xxxxxxxxx

On Thu, Jun 1, 2023 at 2:10 PM Shawn Heisey <eclipse@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/1/23 01:35, Bill Ross wrote:
> If you can turn off the sorting for a test, that would prove the
> assumption.

Sorting is absolutely required for this effort.  I can't turn it off.  I
am using Solr's cursorMark functionality.  The "standard" Solr
pagination functionality simply will not work for this.  That kind of
pagination falls apart after only a few thousand documents ... and I
have millions.

> I just looked up what SolrJ does - no insights, but now I'm curious how
> well the parallel indexing performs compared to postgres'
> single-threaded index builds. I wonder if it could speed up your bigger
> query's sort time.

Solr is NOT a database.  It is a search engine.  It cannot be compared
to postgres, mysql, mongodb, etc.

SolrJ is a client for Solr.  It allows the Java developer to think about
the search engine in terms of updates, queries, deletes, etc ... instead
of thinking about HTTP requests and exactly how to craft those requests.

Thanks,
Shawn