[jetty-users] Advice about embedding Jetty into a large existing app

I'm from the Solr project.  This is a large application that currently ships with scripts that start Jetty to get Solr running.  I would like to have Solr be its own application.  The quickest path to that is to embed Jetty into Solr.

Some of the reasons for doing this are indirectly referenced here:

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/WhyNoWar

A little while ago I asked some questions on the freenode #jetty IRC channel.  Since it's evening in the USA as I write this, I am not expecting anyone on the channel to see what I've asked until tomorrow, so I thought I would move the discussion here.

Here's a transcript of my questions from IRC:

19:06 < elyograg> first big question: are there guides for doing this that I
                  can read?
19:09 < elyograg> I did find the "Embedding Jetty" section of the jetty docs,                   and I will read that.  But I'm also interested in a quicklist
                  of dos and don'ts.
19:10 < elyograg> a question that's clearly NOT on-topic, but I need to ask
                  somewhere:  How do I go about creating solr-start.jar?  How                   do I do this within an existing (and COMPLICATED) ant build
                  system?
19:13 < elyograg> when embedding jetty, do things associated with the full
                  jetty app (like lib/ext) disappear?  I would guess that they
                  do, just looking for confirmation.

Any advice?  I have read the 'Embedding Jetty' page now.  It looks like most of the meat of that is in the source code examples, which I haven't fully digested yet.

I think that all of Solr's handlers are accessed through a class that we call SolrDispatchFilter.

I'm sure I will have lots of really dumb questions once the work really gets underway.  I can do most of that on the IRC channel.

To anyone who might respond: If you'd prefer to use IRC, I'm there.  Can't guarantee that I'll be watching it, but I do have full access to the channel history once I get back to it.

Thanks,
Shawn

Back to the top