Re: [jetty-users] Jetty server crashes

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 04:07:09PM +0100, Greg Wilkins wrote:
> Kapil,
>
> java is a very safe language and there should be no way for a java program
> to "crash" and end up with no process running... unless the program calls
> System.exit(), which Jetty does not.     Thus it is possible that you have
> hit a JVM problem, as sometimes the JVM will segv due to a bug and crash.

See if you're using any of these directives with your JVM:

	-XX:+ExitOnOutOfMemoryError
	-XX:+CrashOnOutOfMemoryError

That's one way the JVM could exit.

The JVM used to run jetty will, by default, generate output to
STDOUT and STDERR.  Are you collecting that output into a log?
Unless the JVM was terminated with a KILL signal, it likely would
have recorded that it was shutting down for a specific reason.

It's possible your server has an Out-of-Memory killer, to help
manage a system running very low on resources, e.g.:

  https://www.memset.com/docs/additional-information/oom-killer/

I have no direct experience with that feature of the OS, though.

--
Brian Reichert				<reichert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
BSD admin/developer at large

Back to the top