Re: [jetty-users] HTTPS on Raspberry very slow

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 6:40 PM, Harald Kornmayer <harald@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Jetty Users and supporters
>
>  We are using jetty in a project and run it in a OSGi Equinox runtime as the
> webserver for hosting JAX-RS components.
> That all works fine on server, desktops, Cloud nodes, etc.
>
> But in the project we need to run the some runtime on smaller devices like
> an Raspberry PI model 3.
> Because of security requirements we must rely on HTTPS instead of HTTP. But
> when we change our configuration
> from HTTP to HTTPS (using a 4096 byte key) the response times increases
> significantly from fast enough (t<<1sec)
> to very slow (t >>5 sec).

I'm not surprised.

See for example:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=141566

If you get OpenSSL to work fast, then you can use Jetty 9.4.8
Conscrypt support, which will use OpenSSL for TLS rather than OpenJDK
Java code.
Or you can use HAProxy to perform TLS offload and then forward
clear-text to Jetty via loopback.

If you get it working, let us know :)

--
Simone Bordet