Re: [jetty-users] jetty for production : run as a service + log management

hi,
I haven't really had time to read the whole conversation but for what is worth, I also think that the jetty forking behaviour is problematic when running as a service.

I had to hack heavily the start.ini and re-create within it the entries that some .MOD modules would have brought in so that I could avoid forking.

Also I struggled a bit in finding an acceptable way to run Jetty as a service on Linux.
If you use a normal service you don't get auto-restart in case of crashes.

I settled for the use of the Upstart daemon ("initctl" commands) etc but I have to say that the Jetty docs weren't of much help to sort this out.

I found it surprising because if you run a web server chances are you want it executed right away if you bounce the machine and also restarted automatically if it crashes.

I think it would deserve its own chapter in the docs.

That said, I am aware it's all free and I am not complaining.
Unfortunately I have zero time to contribute to these docs myself.

thanks,
Michele