Re: [jetty-users] Configuring option 2 of RFC 7230 paragraph 5 (HTTP header folding)

Either way, this has been filed/tracked as https://github.com/eclipse/jetty.project/issues/1333

Joakim Erdfelt / joakim@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Joakim Erdfelt <joakim@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The "message/http" content-type is typically only seen in the response body content to a TRACE method (which is unsupported by Jetty for security reasons).

eg:

Host: www.company.com
Connection: Close
(blank line)

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 09:44:21 GMT
Connection: close
Server: ImpressiveServer/1.2.3.4 (Unix)
Connection: close
Via: 1.1 bogusproxy

9d
TRACE / HTTP/1.1
Connection: keep-alive
Via: 1.1 bogusproxy

0

It was removed from the spec specifically because it causes security issues. (header injection)
Note: Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, and most proxies do not support header folding anymore.

What are you trying to do is going to be increasingly more difficult as time goes on (not only will Jetty reject it, but so must http proxies and the like)

   Historically, HTTP header field values could be extended over
   multiple lines by preceding each extra line with at least one space
   or horizontal tab (obs-fold).  This specification deprecates such
   line folding except within the message/http media type
   (Section 8.3.1).  A sender MUST NOT generate a message that includes
   line folding (i.e., that has any field-value that contains a match to
   the obs-fold rule) unless the message is intended for packaging
   within the message/http media type.

Your clients MUST NOT send folded http headers.
It is highly unlikely that Jetty will reintroduce header folding.
You'll have to make a very good (security minded) case for it.

Joakim Erdfelt / joakim@xxxxxxxxxxx