Re: [jetty-users] SSL causes buildup of CLOSE_WAIT-connections

On 7/7/2016 6:12 AM, Johannes Skjeggestad Meyer wrote:
> We have an ensemble of three jetty-servers running jetty 9.3.8 on
> CentOS. There is a fairly high rate of communication between the
> servers. When we run the ensemble without SSL, everything works
> perfectly, but once SSL is activated, exactly one of the servers start
> to get a massive amount of connections in CLOSE_WAIT (more than 50 000).
> This, again, causes the Old Gen-part of the heap memory in the JVM to
> fill up, and the server becomes unable to communicate with exactly one
> of the other two, with Couldn’t resolve address. However, the other
> machine can still communicate with the one that breaks down, and the
> 3^rd machine can communicate with both.

People are seeing the same thing with Solr, which uses Jetty.

The problem is *NOT* seen with one specific version of Solr ... so at
least part of the issue must be in Solr itself, or perhaps with the
SolrJ client that's part of Solr.

Any advice in tracking down where the problem is would be appreciated.

Johannes, just for information completeness ... are those Jetty installs
running something custom for your location?  The latest version of Solr
happens to use Jetty 9.3.8 ... so if you ARE running Solr, it would be
good to know that so everybody is on the same page.

Thanks,
Shawn

Back to the top