Re: [jetty-users] Jetty 9.2 EOL

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 9:49 AM, martijn.list <martijn.list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I understand the reasoning behind this :) the reality however is that
> Java 8, at the moment, is still not widely supported (out of the box) on
> Linux. For example Ubuntu 14.04 LTS does not even offer OpenJDK 8.

The fact that a OpenJDK 8 build does not exist in Ubuntu 14.04
repositories does not mean you cannot use JDK 8 on 14.04.
You can install JDK 8 on 14.04 without a single problem, it is just
matter of using a different command than what the distribution
provides you (e.g. manual download + tar x), or otherwise configure
repositories from where the right version can be downloaded.

> Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, which supports OpenJDK 8, was only recently released.
> The reality is that there are a lot of servers running on Ubuntu 14.04.
> On CentOS 7, OpenJDK 8 has crippled support for EC ciphers
> (https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=9482)

I don't recommend that you rely on distribution-built OpenJDKs.

I don't know exactly what is the process distribution maintainers use
to build and test OpenJDK, but I highly doubt that they are tested
against the JDK TCK to verify that the build is conformant, that it
works fine and that no regressions have been introduced.

That is why it is typically better to install verified versions such
as Oracle's or, if you don't like Oracle's, Zulu
(https://www.azul.com/products/zulu/).

In other cases, you are at your own risk about installing OpenJDK
builds: CentOS screwed EC ciphers, Ubuntu screwed the java.version
property, etc.

Configure the Zulu PPA on your Ubuntu 14.04 and you're set, super simple.

--
Simone Bordet
----

Back to the top