Re: [jetty-users] Jetty 9.2 EOL

On 04/28/2016 08:32 PM, Jesse McConnell wrote:

> Part of the push to get Jetty 9.4 out the door will be also to retire
> open source support for Jetty 9.2.x which should be effective in May 2016.
>
> A year ago this month (April) Oracle put the brakes on general public
> support for Java 7.  That roughly corresponds to when we pushed Jetty
> 9.3.x which was the first version of Jetty to require Java 8.
>
> Picking up another release branch of Jetty and the looming addition of
> yet another for experimental features and the forthcoming Servlet 4.0
> support with Jetty 10 means something has to give.  Moving forward Jetty
> 9.2.x will not be getting any tangible support from the Jetty developers
> on the open source side of things.  We will continue to support it for
> clients through our professional services and support company Webtide,
> and if that support triggers a release then that release will of course
> be made available to the community at large.  We started this program
> with Jetty 6 and it seems to have  served us and the community well for
> both Jetty 7 and Jetty 8.
>
> If you have any questions about this please chime in!

Unfortunately OpenJDK 8 on CentOS/RedHat has some open issues with EC
support for TLS (https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=9482). These issues
makes it impossible to use strong ciphers with Jetty when running under
OpenJDK 8.

Because OpenJDK 6 and 7 are still supported by RedHat, wouldn't it be a
good idea to keep supporting 9.2 only for bug fixes?

Kind regards,

Martijn Brinkers

Back to the top