[jetty-users] Configuring Jetty PROXY protocol support to fallback to regular HTTP

Hello jetty-users,

I am investigating configuring the Proxy connector support as described in
http://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/current/configuring-connectors.html

One thing that I don't feel clear in the documentation is how you might configure
Jetty to accept e.g. both HTTP and Proxy+HTTP connections on the same ServerConnector.

Looking at the code, in fact I'm not sure this is possible -- it seems that if you
don't have a PROXY connection it just gives up:

// Check proxy
if (!"PROXY".equals(_field[0]))
{
    LOG.warn("Not PROXY protocol for {}",getEndPoint());
    close();
    return;
}

We are in the position where we have an Amazon ELB fronting our application,
with TCP passthrough.  We'd like to enable Proxy support, but I fear that doing so
leaves us unable to "upgrade" in place -- we'll have to keep our existing
HTTPS connector and spin up new Proxy+HTTPS connectors, and then additionally
create new ELB instances, and manage a failover to the new pipeline.

If the Jetty code could automatically negotiate the Proxy protocol or not,
we could simply upgrade our application and then enable it on the ELB, a much
simpler and foolproof deployment plan.

Is this possible to configure?  Hopefully I've missed something obvious in
the documentation.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Steven