[jetty-users] Connecting to Jetty 9.3.8 http2 connector without ALPN

Hi,
Preface: I am fully aware of the purpose of ALPN in the context of browsers.

I am having a server which I control, and a client which I control.
The server is currently running an h2 enabled connector:

INFO  [2016-03-17 19:48:13,864] org.eclipse.jetty.setuid.SetUIDListener: Opened application@56e9a474{SSL,[ssl, alpn, h2, h2-17, h2-16, h2-15, h2-14, http/1.1]}{0.0.0.0:8445}

For the client side, I do not want to use ALPN, mostly because I do not control the java version, thus the installation would be complicated.
So I was wondering if it is possibly providing the HTTP2Client the necessary information to connect anyway.

Currently I am doing the same, using a netty based client&server, which works (applicationProtocolConfig(ApplicationProtocolConfig.DISABLED)) but I prefer a slightly higher abstraction level, and the jetty client seems to give me that.

I tried setting:
 client.setClientConnectionFactory(new HTTP2ClientConnectionFactory());

and variations, but most of it fails silently, so I have a hard time debugging that.

NB: I want the communication to be encrypted. so h2c would only work if it could be done also over the h2 connector (which seems not to be the case)

best regards
Fabian

Back to the top