Re: [jetty-users] Server push with standalone Jetty

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 10:57 PM, Conundrum <Conondrumk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I discussed the issue about recursive pushes with nghttp2's author.
>
> I'll quote his reply here:
>
> "recursive" pushes are not allowed in HTTP/2.
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7540#section-6.6
>>
>> PUSH_PROMISE frames MUST only be sent on a peer-initiated stream that
>> is in either the "open" or "half-closed (remote)" state. The stream
>> identifier of a PUSH_PROMISE frame indicates the stream it is
>> associated with. If the stream identifier field specifies the value
>> 0x0, a recipient MUST respond with a connection error (Section 5.4.1)
>> of type PROTOCOL_ERROR.
>

> If jetty performs "recursive" pushes, then it violates RFC 7540.
>
>> I believe recursive push is wrong thing. If firefox or chrome accept them,
>> and actually utilize them, its their serious bug. You can report this to
>> their respective bug tracker.
>> I think jetty team confused with the legacy SPDY specification. In SPDY,
>> it does not say recursive push is not prohibited. jetty just inherited it
>> from SPDY without carefully reading RFC 7540. It is definitely jetty's bug.

I can confirm that both Chrome and Firefox accept and use these pushes.
However, I agree with Tatsuhiro that the RFC seems to indicate that
Jetty, Chrome and Firefox are wrong.

I sent an email to the HTTP/2 WG asking for a clarification.

--
Simone Bordet
----

Back to the top