Re: [jetty-users] Seeking opinions on timestamps in version strings

I agree its better, more standard (e.g. semantic) and clear without the timestamp.  However, such changes tend to break downstream scripts, configs, etc. which previously had to cope with the date in the version.  I suggest deferring the actual change to 9.4.0. In other words its deserves at least a MINOR release (which might have other incompatible changes) instead of just at PATCH release (9.3.7).