Re: [jetty-users] (Jetty 9.2.13.v20150730) Relationship between threadPool.setIdleTimeout and connector.setIdleTimeout

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 5:26 AM, Melissa Mifsud
<melissa.anne.mifsud@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to investigate what the relationship between the
> idleTimeout settings on:
>
> QueuedThreadPool.setIdleTimeout
> ServerConnector.setIdleTimeout
>
> when both are set?

There is no relationship.

The QueuedThreadPool idle timeout specifies how long a thread that has
been pooled can remain idle in the pool before being terminated.
Imagine you had a spike in the traffic load of your server; more
threads were created, but then the load goes back to normal. The
additional threads would stay in the pool for the idle timeout and
then be terminated (one at a time).

The ServerConnector idle timeout specifies how long a TCP connection
that has been created can remain idle (i.e. no bytes traffic on it in
either read or write direction) before being closed.

> I noticed that most of the examples and code I have found sets the
> idleTimeout on the Connector and not on the pool.
>
> I am using Jetty 9.2.13.v20150730. I set both idleTimeout. Recently I
> changed the values so that:
>
> QueuedThreadPool.setIdleTimeout(300000)
> Connector.setIdleTimeout(60000)
>

> I'm wondering if this could cause problems.

Nope.

--
Simone Bordet
----