Re: [jetty-users] Threads suddenly start waiting and cause an out of memory error

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 4:42 AM, Claude Quézel <cquezel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a problem with an embedded Jetty application. The application
> suddenly requires à large amount of memory and threads and I get a
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded.

This OOME means that the GC was running continuously back-to-back so
much so that it's activity prevents the application to get enough CPU
time.

> I did a thread dump and found that almost all threads were waiting like this
> example.
>
> "qtp146419630-538" prio=10 tid=0x00007f07b0006800 nid=0x45f4 waiting on
> condition [0x00007f07fd7f3000]
>    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
>     at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
>     - parking to wait for  <0x0000000719d430f8> (a
> java.util.concurrent.Semaphore$NonfairSync)
>     at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(LockSupport.java:186)
>     at
> java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.parkAndCheckInterrupt(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:834)
>     at
> java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.doAcquireSharedInterruptibly(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:994)
>     at
> java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.acquireSharedInterruptibly(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:1303)
>     at java.util.concurrent.Semaphore.acquire(Semaphore.java:317)
>     at
> org.eclipse.jetty.util.BlockingCallback.block(BlockingCallback.java:94)
>     at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpOutput.write(HttpOutput.java:125)
>     at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpOutput.write(HttpOutput.java:351)
>     at java.io.OutputStream.write(OutputStream.java:75)
>     at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpOutput.print(HttpOutput.java:485)
>     at
> javax.servlet.ServletOutputStream.println(ServletOutputStream.java:283)
>     at com.example.MyHandler.doPost(PhpHandler.java:190)
>     at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:707)
>
> Does anyone have a clue as what would be the cause of this problem and a
> solution?

We have committed a fix in the current master.
If you can build from the sources and retry that will be great.
Let us know.

Thanks !

--
Simone Bordet