[jetty-users] Migrating Jetty 8 to 9: "No contexts"

I first posted this to Stack Overflow and didn't get any answers; hoping to get unstuck here.

We have a working Jetty 8 environment (and the person who set it up is gone). I'm trying to get our applications running in a test Jetty 9. Jetty starts up and writes to start.log, which informs me that stderr/stdout are being redirected to
/opt/jetty/logs/2014_04_17.stderrout.log. The latter file reports:

2014-04-17 13:58:37.437:WARN:oejuc.AbstractLifeCycle:main: FAILED org.eclipse.jetty.deploy.DeploymentManager@7cddffbd: java.lang.IllegalStateException: No Contexts
java.lang.IllegalStateException: No Contexts
at org.eclipse.jetty.deploy.DeploymentManager.doStart(DeploymentManager.java:221) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:68) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.start(ContainerLifeCycle.java:125)

The old installation put context deployment descriptor files in /opt/jetty/contexts. The documentation for Jetty 9 appears to say they should go in /opt/jetty/webapps. $JETTY_HOME in my environment is /opt/jetty. I copied one of the deployment descriptor files to webapps, but the error message is the same. There's nothing to tell me where it's looking or why it failed.

I put a deliberate XML error into the deployment descriptor file to see if that would affect anything, but it didn't, so Jetty may not even be reading the file.

I'm running the Jetty launch script in debug mode, and echoing the command which launches it to the console (changing -b to -v to get more useful output), and here's the full output to the console:

Reading /etc/default/jetty..
START_INI      =  /opt/jetty/start.ini
JETTY_HOME     =  /opt/jetty
JETTY_BASE     =  /opt/jetty
JETTY_CONF     =  /opt/jetty/etc/jetty.conf
JETTY_PID      =  /var/run/jetty.pid
JETTY_START    =  /opt/jetty/start.jar
JETTY_ARGS     =  jetty-logging.xml jetty-started.xml
JAVA_OPTIONS = -Djetty.state=/opt/jetty/jetty.state -Djetty.logs=/opt/jetty/logs -Djetty.home=/opt/jetty -Djetty.base=/opt/jetty -Djava.io.tmpdir=/tmp
JAVA           =  /usr/bin/java
RUN_CMD        =  /usr/bin/java
Starting Jetty: start-stop-daemon -S -p/var/run/jetty.pid -cjetty -d/opt/jetty -v -m -a /usr/bin/java -- -Djetty.state=/opt/jetty/jetty.state -Djetty.logs=/opt/jetty/logs -Djetty.home=/opt/jetty -Djetty.base=/opt/jetty -Djava.io.tmpdir=/tmp -jar /opt/jetty/start.jar jetty-logging.xml jetty-started.xml start-log-file=start.log
Starting /usr/bin/java...
Logging to /opt/jetty/start.log
FAILED Thu Apr 17 13:58:41 EDT 2014

Anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

--
Gary McGath, Principal Software Engineer, Outcome Referrals
gmcgath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top