Re: [jetty-users] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

I think this (https://github.com/mjiderhamn/classloader-leak-prevention) is the most comprehensive (and application server independent) listener for preventing classloader memory leaks.
I agree that not packaging the database driver with the web app is a good idea although the listener should clean up that particular leak.

The classloader-leak-prevention listener's author also has a good series discussing classloader leaks (why they happen and how to track them down) on his blog: http://java.jiderhamn.se/