Re: [jetty-users] Memory requirements for Jetty SSL implementation

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Bharti <bharti.goyal7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to implement Jetty server with SSL configuration. At present reserved
> memory for Jetty process is 1 GB. I need to know the memory requirement for
> SSL implementation.
>
> Is it different from non ssl scenarios? How much memory is required per ssl
> connection?
>
> I have tested a scenario where 1GB is reached after 10k connections are
> established at Jetty SSL port.
> But, without SSL, this limit is not reached.

Jetty uses the SSL implementation from the JDK, typically via SSLEngine.
Turns out that the JDK SSL implementation is quite memory hungry,
keeping at least one buffer of 17k around per connection.
Jetty allocates some more per-connection objects on top of that, but I
don't know the exact figure.

Unfortunately the memory allocated by the SSLEngine is not
controllable by Jetty.

We typically suggest to offload SSL via something like HAProxy.

--
Simone Bordet
----

Back to the top