[jetty-users] is hot re-deployment without errors possible?

Hi,

(I posted on stackoverflow first [1] but no answers, so I’ll try here.)

I have the usual web app deployer as described in the docs [2] and defined in etc/jetty-deploy.xml. I use an xml file to define my web app context, so when I push new code to my production server, I upload a new myapp.war file using `rsync` and then touch that myapp.xml file. This works pretty well, but there are few seconds where the app throws a NullPointerException or other weirdness, and some users appear to be getting corrupt statically served files (.js files from the war), so that they have to flush their browser's cache for the app to work again.

Is this supposed to work perfectly, or do you expect a brief dead period like this?  Is there a recommended way to deploy new code without the 2-second snafu?

Jetty is behind nginx with simple proxy configuration, if that matters.  I’m running 9.0.5, but could upgrade.

thanks,
Rob

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22357690/can-jetty-hot-redeployment-work-without-service-interruption
[2] http://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/current/hot-deployment.html