Re: [jetty-users] JSR-356 Design Thought

I think annotations are quite useful where delegation to application components is involved. There many examples in Java (Web frameworks, test frameworks, and others) where they're used quite successfully.

That said I believe WebSocket is not an application level protocol. Compare to HTTP which offers many things to build useful annotations on (URLs, HTTP methods, headers, etc). WebSocket is on a much lower level than that. A JSR-356 container cannot make assumptions about the content of the message and so the annotations are of limited value.

For this reason I prefer the interface-based model, which JSR-356 does provide. I wish all the focus had gone into making that the most flexible and extensible foundation it can be for frameworks to build on top.

Rossen