Re: [jetty-users] NPN for JRE 1.7.0_51 with 9.1.1.v20140108

In order to get NPN support, we had to provide custom SSL code during -Xbootstrap to the default class libraries with the JDK.
This work has not been done with Java 8, and from a cursory glance at the SSL code in OpenJDK, it appears to be rather different.
(This change in the SSL code isn't unexpected, as there were rumblings of providing better TLS plugins or ALPN for Java 8, which didn't make it in.  prep work for it?)

With HTTP/2 coming, the spec seem to be focusing on using ALPN (the successor to NPN).  Hopefully ALPN will be baked into Java in the future, so we don't have to provide this layer.

--
Joakim Erdfelt <joakim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Expert advice, services and support from from the Jetty & CometD experts