Re: [jetty-users] Jetty 9 not using resources properly - N/W issue in local loopback interface

Hi Bruno,
I perfectly understand that measuring against the localhost is not a good idea. But i tried the same on different client and server boxes on the same data center and even there i saw a network bottleneck (around 20 MBPS ). So to confirm that this network issue was not due to some weird setting in the machine, i wanted to try on the loopback interface that according to my knowledge has no max limit set on the network bandwidth. Even in the local loopback i measured using iperf connected to the jetty server i got 21 MBPS which i was not able to understand. The CPU and memory usage in the system was very low and the context switches and interrupts were also low (monitored using nmon), so i was not able to understand what is the real underlying problem with my setting. Is it some kind of setting in Jetty that i need to change in the config?

I ran the same tests on Weblogic server to make sure that network was not the issue. I was able to see using iperf that the bandwidth in loopback was around 250 MBPS (~1 Gbps). i was using the same settings in JMeter and it was giving good through put. It is a mystery that i cannot put my finger on

Appreciate your inputs on helping me in this issue.

Thanks,
Dinesh

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Bruno D. Rodrigues <bruno.rodrigues@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A 19/10/2013, às 19:20, dinesh kumar <dinesh12b@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> Hi,
> I am trying to capacity plan for a new Rest service we are developing. I would like to do determine what is the maximum number of POSTS that can be handled in the server for different loads. For example if for 1 MB data what is the server overhead (HTTP header parsing and thread assignment from the threadpool , server context switches etc.,) that is involved. I would like to determine a rough threshold of per core number of parallel requests that can be handled by the server. If there exists a limiting factor in the system (say network, memory or something else) what is it?
>
> Thanks,
> Dinesh

The overhead of Jetty, from my experience, tends to be zero when compared with the objectives and final implementation of what you want to do with that data, and specially with the real life conditions of how that data comes. In other words, a load test of such small data, against localhost, without doing anything to the data, will have so many external variables that will conclude with bogus data.

The first question you need to ask yourself is "what will you do with those 1MB data chunks". If you're saving them into disk or DB, then the HTTP side resources will tend to zero.

The second question is "will I get that data from good sources, or bad behaving sources". I had a project where the "architects" and "quality assurance" were pushing me for high performance under local network loads and jmeter high paralell requests of similar request types, when in reality the requests would come slowly behind the mobile network, meaning unreliable throughput and high latency.

In other words, your implementation needs to consider if you're getting 1MB chunks from high performance local clients, which could let you do a simple synchronous implementation like the one I sent you, and where you'd be limited by the number of threads allocated to the jetty pool divided by the time to receive the 1MB.
Or, in real life, you may be receiving a lot more clients, but each with slower throughput (network bottlenecks, client bugs, real life murphy's law). Jetty has always been perfect for these cases, and now with Servlets 3.1 it's perfect in a standard way, because you can implement a proper async reader that will only consume resources when the clients are really sending data. The bottleneck will then be the OS or the network hardware.

Also if you really want to do such a test, you need to be very careful with the test suit to make sure your bottleneck isn't there, as we saw in the beginning of this thread where your jmeter setup couldn't pass 165Mbit/sec (or the 200 with the other server), whilst we were easily crossing the 1Gbit using curl or ab.

With the 8MB POST I noticed that the times are so small that the time to process the 8MB is hardly different from the total setup and teardown. They are all 0+ms. So if your test suite takes 0.5ms itself to prepare the connection, your throughput will decrease a lot.

Good luck with your tests, but please don't waste time testing what is irrelevant for the final product.