[jetty-users] The behavior of blocking WebSockets

If my client is sending a steady stream of unthrottled binary data, too fast for the server to keep up, what happens? My assumption was that WebSockets were designed so that the _javascript_ client's send request would block if some kind of buffer was full, but I'm starting to think that might not be correct.

What does Jetty do internally when the server-side onMessage callback is taking a while to process? I know that there must be some buffering occurring in a receiving thread, but what happens when the buffer is full? Does it just respond to the client with an error code?

Back to the top