[jetty-users] Does CLIENT-CERT SSL renegotiation work in Jetty 8/9?

(NOTE: I've asked the exact same question in stackoverflow but I think it's too specific or complex to be answered there:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14408958/how-can-i-make-client-cert-ssl-renegotiation-work-in-jetty)

I have a webapp that has a public https area, and a private https protected with client certificate using SSL renegotiation. This configuration works correctly (not without a lot of work) in Tomcat 7 with APR.

Now I'm working with Jetty and I've tried everything but I can't make it work.

The client certificates dialog never appears in the browser, and I always get an HTTP 403 error.

My environment is: jdk 1.7.0.02, jetty 9.0.0.M3 launched from Eclipse Helios with m2e. (jetty:run)

The server appears to have SSL renegotiation enabled, testing it as indicated here, so I'm quite sure there are no problems with the SSL Renegotiation Security issues.

I've overrided ClientCertAuthenticator (same code, just to be able to debug) and created a custom LoginService, and it looks like the X509Cert never appears in the request.

Looks like the SSL renegotiation is never triggered, and authentication fails, because there is not a certificate in the request.

The LoginService configured simply returns true to every validation. I can post them too, if asked, but the important methods never get called.

If I use needCLientCert or wantClientCert application works ok, but then browser asks for the certificate in the public area.

My configuration files:

web.xml: http://pastebin.com/LQ3RcWY4

jetty.xml: http://pastebin.com/iE9xqcLq

jetty-context.xml: http://pastebin.com/rcSsBfRW

pom.xml (jetty part): http://pastebin.com/wBLATggq

Am I missing something obvious? I don't know. I've searched a lot and tried many possible configurations, but, no luck.

--

Juan Calero : Equipo de Desarrollo

Mail: j.calero@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Tel. +34 91 803 95 34

www.pixelware.com

AVISO SOBRE CONFIDENCIALIDAD
Este mensaje (incluido cualquier adjunto) contiene información que puede ser confidencial. A menos que sea usted el destinatario (o autorizado por este), se le informa de que la información contenida en el mismo es reservada y su utilización o divulgación con cualquier fin está prohibida. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique respondiendo al correo electrónico o por teléfono y proceda a su destrucción, incluido cualquier adjunto.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message (including any attachments) contains information that may be confidential.  Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the intended recipient), you may not read, print, retain, use, copy, distribute or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message.  If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and destroy all copies of the original message (including any attachments).

Back to the top