[jetty-users] Detecting WAR stop within a servlet in Jetty 9

I have a servlet which opens server sockets (not HTTP). When the WAR containing the servlet is closed and re-opened the replacement servlet finds that the sockets are already open and crashes.

I need some means, inside the servlet, of detecting that the WAR is about to be shut down, so that I can close the sockets.  I can see all sorts of useful and apparently-relevant lifecycle artifacts inside Jetty. but the Jetty sandboxing of the servlet seems complete; I can find no way to link in to these classes.

I've also been trying the PreDestroy approach suggested in
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Feature/Annotations
which looks as if it ought to work but the method tagged with the @PreDestroy attribute is never invoked.  I've noted that this is described in Java 8 documentation and I'm attempting Jetty 9 - is that significant?

I'm running out of ideas now. I have thought of designing a custom WebApplicationHandler, which presumably can participate in the lifecycle system and could than 'poke' my servlet through a custom Interface, but this is not very elegant.

Any other ideas?

Regards,

Chris Haynes

Back to the top