[jetty-users] Connection reset by peer while there are many threads free

I am using JMeter to test some very simple Servlet on Jetty. I had configured
Jetty so it has 1,700 threads waiting for requests. I am now, using JMeter,
sending 300 requests "in parallel" (300 JMeter threads). about 1/3 of them
are failing on "Connection reset by peer". Using some print outs, I see that
only 206 of the requests were actually received by the servlet doGet method
and only 172 threads were used. To me it doesn't seem like the Jetty server
is chocking, any idea what's happening?