[jetty-users] Apache HttpClient vs Java UrlConnection

Is apache httpclient still viable?
Speaking from experience using both it and standard java UrlConnection on Android (key piece of info there), the standard java UrlConnection is faster in all aspects of http, from establishing the connection, handling the streams, authenticating, and even concurrent active connections than the Apache HttpClient on the same device.  No amount of tweaking of the apache httpclient could even get close to the standard naive implementation using Java UrlConnection.

Why is that?  Really, why?  Before this experience i was a huge fan of apache httpclient (i like the control I have over the http transactions), but now...
--
Joakim Erdfelt