Re: [jetty-users] Vert.x-like functionality in Jetty?

Hi,

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 8:59 PM, Otis Gospodnetic
<otis_gospodnetic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are you saying CometD provides the same scalability and concurrency Vert.x
> claims to provide?

Look carefully at the Vert.x benchmark: they open 6 (six) connections
and pipeline on each 2000 requests.
How realistic is such traffic ?

I am sure Vert.x 1.0 is a fine framework and all that, but I'd like to
see a more realistic benchmark before expressing an opinion.
That is what we tried to achieve with the CometD benchmark, which
implements a chat application, with 1k, 5k 10k up to 200k connected
users to a single server and different message rates.

> If CometD provides (and has been providing for years) the high scalability
> and concurrency support, what's all Vert.x all about?

Ask them :)
To me, it's about diversity.
Why there exist more than one servlet container ?

> Is it the case that
> while CometD may provide the same stuff Vert.x does, CometD is not widely
> known or is at least not as popular? (if so, that can be critical for its
> future)

Not sure what Vert.x provides yet (have not looked in details), but
CometD provides authentication hooks, fine-grained access control,
message acknowledgment and guaranteed server-to-client message
delivery on short network failures, a fully extensible framework,
transport independence and fallback, automatic reconnections, and I
can continue for a while.

I heard about Vert.x one month or less ago, actually, so I personally
do not classify it as "popular" just because it had a spike in tweets.

Evaluate both frameworks and choose the one that fits your case better.

You have not said what is it in Vert.x that appeals you. It's just the
benchmark result ?

Simon
--
http://cometd.org