Re: [jetty-users] Streaming data TO Jetty?

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Otis Gospodnetic
<otis_gospodnetic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to be able to push data (more or less a continuous stream) from
> clients (e.g. using Apache HttpClient library) TO Jetty.
> I currently have a system where clients make use of KeepAlives, which is
> nice, but they still issue an explicit HTTP POST requestÂto JettyÂevery N
> seconds.
> Is there a way to avoid making explicit HTTP requests like that andÂwould
> streaming the data (somehow) actually be more scalable than issuing explicit
> POSTs?

Depends on the loads we're talking about. I have seen Jetty serving
40k and more POSTS per second, so "more scalable" depends on your

> Is this doable and how exactly does one stream data to Jetty?

A good viable alternative is to use WebSocket.
Jetty has a WebSocket client that you can use to stream data to the
server, and that is way more efficient than HTTP.
For a comparison, see

A full fledged solution would be to use CometD (http://cometd.org),
that gives you authentication, network failure detection and automatic
reconnection, an extensible framework (with already available
extensions, for example for message acknowledgement, etc.), transport
fallback, etc., etc.

the implementation technique must be flawless.ÂÂ Victoria Livschitz