Re: [jetty-users] ByteBuffers and Jetty?

WHat do you want access to?

Are you tryign to get a block of binary data that was sent as a post pameter, like in a file upload? or are you trying to get the entire http request as binary block of data?

If the latter you might want to consider using Nettty instead.

JK
On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 1:25 PM, David Walend <david@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for the responses, Jeff and Simone.

On May 1, 2012, at 8:03 AM, jetty-users-request@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 19:01:29 -0400
> From: Jeffrey Kesselman <jeffpk@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> What you want for hard memory access are NativeDirectByteBuffers
>
> These can ONLY be created from native code run through JNI.  Once created
> they appear like any other ByteBuffer to the JVM.

Understood. I've got my JNI helmet on.

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Simone Bordet <sbordet@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 04:15, David Walend <david@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I'm working on a project where I need direct access to memory via
>> ByteBuffers and the ability to use http protocols to push the data around
>> the internet. Can Jetty do that? How hard is it to do?
>>>
>>> (An early aspect of this project is transferring ~10GB files. Does Jetty
>> have any baked-in limits on size of a single transfer?)
>>>
>>> I haven't been able to find doc or an email thread on ByteBuffers, so a
>> "go read this" answer would be great help. Heck, even "go read this part of
>> the source code" would be fine.
>>
>> Jetty's DefaultServlet is already doing a bunch of smart things
>> related to mapped file buffers and such, see
>>
>> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Feature/Servlets_Bundled_with_Jetty#DefaultServlet
>> (in particular parameter "useFileMappedBuffer").

That's a terrific answer for the immediate project. To justify Jetty long-term I need to show what I'd have to do to access ByteBuffers of incoming data and supply ByteBuffers of outbound data.

How do I draw ByteBuffers out of an HttpRequest?

How do I push ByteBuffers into an HttpResponse?

In Request, it looks like Jetty can supply its own ByteBuffers in setAttribute(), but it doesn't look like API I should use. It looks like the ByteBuffers are just under the skin, maybe in AbstractHttpConnection, but I'm hesitant to use them without seeing them in some sort of obviously long-lived API. It won't be in the servlet API standard, but is there something in Jetty that I can count on not changing release to release?

Thanks,

Dave