Re: [jetty-users] High CPU Load in Jetty 7.6.2 / JDK 1.7

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 01:07, Devon Lazarus <Devon.Lazarus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I just wanted to provide an update on this for the benefit of the list.
>

> We went ahead and switched to the BlockingChannelConnector. Unfortunately,
> not only did that not solve our CPU usage issues, but it introduced some
> network communication issues. Notably we started seeing ton’s of these in
> the log files:
>

> Caused by: org.eclipse.jetty.io.EofException
>

> I tried tuning the tcp driver but that didn’t help at all. Also of note:
> we’re using IPv6. I did try to force the JVM to use IPv4 but that didn’t
> have an impact either.
>

> There was also a suggestion from the list to try 7.6.3 and we did that too.
> We didn’t see any improvement in CPU and we still had the EoF errors.
>

> For now I’ve gone back to the SelectChannelConnector with 7.6.3. The EoF
> errors have subsided but our CPU consumption is too high for our liking.
> We’ve instrumented the code and are looking at some other options internally
> to understand what the issues might be.

Just to confirm: are you using SSL ?

In 7.6.3 you still have the selector and the acceptor threads that
consume most CPU ?

Is Jetty behind a HTTP 1.0 proxy ?
I ask because having the acceptor do so much work seems to indicate
that connections are opened at a high rate, which may explain the
whole thing (HTTP 1.0 requires to close connections after each
request, which is a performance hit).

Simon
--
http://cometd.org