Re: [jetty-users] High CPU Load in Jetty 7.6.2 / JDK 1.7

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 01:41, Devon Lazarus <Devon.Lazarus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of what I believe is a performance
> problem in a Jetty application. Unfortunately, I’ve hit a road block and
> could use some help. Googling hasn’t shed any light on the issue. Neither
> has stackoverflow.
>

> Basically, I’m seeing very high CPU load without a lot of throughput. To
> quantify that, we have a c1.medium (dual core) running Ubuntu 10.04LTS in
> EC2 with Jetty 7.6.2 configured at 50 min/200 max threads, a single
> acceptor, and the Oracle JDK 1.7_03 JVM configured with -mx2048m –ms512m,
> and some GC tuning.
>

> We’re using a custom load generation tool to find the point at which the
> server falls over. However, we’re hitting 90% CPU burn with loads well over
> 2 while handling ~25 concurrent transactions/second (throughput was 63 tps
> with ~400ms response times). That just doesn’t seem right (way too low).
>

> In profiling the JVM regardless of load (low or under siege), we can see
> clearly that 99% of our CPU time is spent in one of two places:
>

> sun.nio.ch.SelectorImpl.select() at 66%
>
> sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.accept() at 33%

Are you using SSL ?

We have fixed a couple of issues regarding threads spinning in 7.6.3.
Is there any chance you can try that version out ?

If you still get the same behavior in 7.6.3, then we're really
interested in knowing more details.

Thanks,

Simon
--