Re: [jetty-users] javax.servlet.UnavailableException: No class for Servlet or Filter

On Fri, 2011-02-25 at 12:59 +0700, Nick Fenwick wrote:
> On 02/25/2011 02:53 AM, Richard McCluskey wrote:
> > WebAppContext@b6e39f@b6e39f/,file:/home/user/jetty/webapps/ROOT/,file:/home/user/jetty/webapps/ROOT/
> > javax.servlet.UnavailableException: No class for Servlet or Filter
> > 	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.Holder.doStart(Holder.java:67)	at
> > org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.FilterHolder.doStart(FilterHolder.java:58)
>
> Looks like you have a <filter> specified in your web.xml that isn't working.
>
> Mine look like:
>
> <filter>
> <filter-name>...</filter-name>
> <filter-class>...</filter-class>
> </filter>
> <filter-mapping>
> <filter-name>...</filter-name>
> <url-pattern>...</url-pattern>
> </filter-mapping>

okay, I changed mine to mimic your example above and it worked fine.
Thank you for the suport and pointer. It does seem a bit odd, though as
mine were previously :

<filter filter-name="gzip"
filter-class="org.eclipse.jetty.servlets.GzipFilter"> ...</filter>

which is acceptable to most appservers like tomcat and resin. What I
deduce from this is that Jetty doesnt support filter-name and
filter-class as attributes in the <filter> node, and only accepts them
as child-nodes. Is this because Jetty is supporting a standard that hte
others are lax about? or is there some other reason?

Thank you for time and information,

best regards

Richard