[jetty-users] Jetty runs into a loop during startup and ends in a "Too many open files" exception

Hello,

I have an old jetty instance (6.0.2, java 1.5.14, Linux) and today I just updated the SSL cert. After restarting jetty - via

 java -Xmx1024m ... -jar start.jar

- it runs into a loop. It consumes more and more files and finally ends into tons of these execptions:

java.io.IOException: Too many open files
 at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.accept0(Native Method)
 at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.accept(ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:145)
 at org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector$1.acceptChannel(SelectChannelConnector.java:73)
 at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectorManager$SelectSet.doSelect(SelectorManager.java:336)
 at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectorManager.doSelect(SelectorManager.java:73)
 at org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector.accept(SelectChannelConnector.java:120)
 at org.mortbay.jetty.AbstractConnector$Acceptor.run(AbstractConnector.java:492)
 at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:475)

I already increased the allowed number of open files:

$ lsof | fgrep java | wc -l
65609

It seems that jetty is in an loop and takes more and more file handles...

Who can help me here. I prefer not updating jetty since the server will go offline in some weeks...

Thx!

Joe