Re: [jetty-dev] Requiring JDK 11 for Jetty 10.x

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 10:39 AM Guillaume Maillard <guillaume.maillard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Could you eloborate on technical things related to JDK11 ?
As far I know, the Jetty core doesn't require a big number of "things" from the JDK.

A lot of deployment (as ours) use Jetty as embedded webserver and simply implement handlers.
Why should we switch all our code/build to JDK11 in such cases if no technical reasons could justify it?

The Jetty side of the equation is likely simpler, and could be optional features (TLS 1.3? although I suspect even this one will eventually get backported by Oracle into the extended support patches, just as they did with TLS 1.2).

The Java side... Oracle is aggressively pushing users, and especially businesses to either:
  1. Pay for a contract with Oracle.
  2. Upgrade to Java 11.
See here:

Note specifically the date January 2019, which is marked "Commercial User End of Public Updates".

This is no small matter. Everybody who uses Java needs to understand what this new policy means to them. People should already be preparing for which option they wish to consider. If you need Java 8 for commercial purposes beyond January 2019, you should be preparing to obtain a support contract from whoever you get Java from today if you have not already.

--
Mark Mielke <mark.mielke@xxxxxxxxx>

Back to the top