[jetty-dev] Clarification on synchronous and asynchronous request model for Jetty

Hi,

We are using Jetty client jars (v 9.3.7.v20160115) to make both synchronous and asynchronous HTTP/2 requests.

1. It seems that the synchronous request model internally makes use of asynchronous model i.e requests are queued and processed. Every request can be provided or configured with a timeout, that would indicate the timeout for request/response conversation to complete.
I would like to clarify that in case we need to retry synchronous requests depending upon the response received from the end point, the new request to be retried once invoked, would again be placed in the queue and processed. I guess that would create ordering problems as there can be many other requests that could have come in between the original request and its retry request, which will be given preference.

2. For asynchronous requests, is there a way to detect connection failures early or in a synchronous fashion? Say we have 100 requests sent at the same time, but all pointing to a bad host name or to a host that is temporarily down and not responding, is there a way to detect these connection failures in a synchronous fashion?

Thanks
Neha

Back to the top