Re: [jetty-dev] ALPN/java version API?

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 9:09 PM, Anna Claiborne <anna.claiborne@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I was curious if an API end point existed anywhere that would return the correct ALPN version for a given java version? If not, this would be a super handy thing to have to automate ALPN library fetching/verification at compile time - it frequently breaks things when java is upgraded and corresponding ALPN libraries for $thing are not.
>
> Looked through the list archives and didn’t see anything related, but please feel free to point me to an existing thread if one exists. Thanks!

We don't have an API for that.
We have documentation:
https://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/current/alpn-chapter.html#alpn-versions
We have the ALPN Agent:
https://github.com/jetty-project/jetty-alpn-agent/blob/master/src/main/java/org/mortbay/jetty/alpn/agent/Premain.java#L32

We do this downloading automatically using Jetty modules in a
standalone server, it's enough to do: java -jar start.jar
--create-files

The reason behind the lack of this feature is that when the JDK is
updated there are a number of things to verify/check in general (does
my application still work? do I have regressions? are there
incompatibilities introduced by the new JDK? Am I hitting new JDK
bugs? etc.) that warrant a testing phase that would catch the ALPN
mismatch.

If would be great if you detail you use case, and what you are going
to do in every possible scenario.

For example, you start your application, and you realize you have the
wrong ALPN version. The only option for that JVM is System.exit().

Thanks !

--
Simone Bordet
----