Re: [jetty-dev] Allowing Jetty Proxy protocol support to fallback to regular HTTP

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 2:08 AM, Steven Schlansker
<stevenschlansker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Imagine you have a cluster of 10 load balancers and 10 Jetty servers.
> How do you atomically upgrade all 10 load balancers to send PROXY
> and 10 Jettys to receive PROXY, when any connection that is mismatched
> will be dropped?

I don't understand. Updating your load balancer to send PROXY is a
once and then never again operation.
It would not be required if the load balancer was deployed initially with PROXY.

> We could set up an entirely parallel set of connectors and deployments.
> But the work to do this is large -- we have many datacenters across many
> continents, each of which has its own ELB -> Jetty input pipeline.
> Each one of these would need a temporary transition, where we first
> create a new connector, switch traffic over, and then remove the old
> connector.

Yes. It's an operation that you do once and then you are done, and you
never do it again.

> Wouldn't it be much easier if Jetty could autodetect?  Then you can first
> upgrade Jetty, then enable it on ELB, and no need to do this dangerous
> rerouting of traffic at all :)

What "dangerous" rerouting ? It's the simplest operation you can do on
a load balancer, to tell what is the backend port to direct traffic
to.

> Do you have some specific reason this feature is not a good idea?
> It seems like it would be extremely handy.

It may be handy in your case, but you found an equivalent easy
alternative solution that does not force Jetty to support a feature
that you are going to use only once *ever* per data center.

Sorry if I seem harsh, but I don't see this feature being useful in
general, there is an easy alternative solution, and the feature is
something that you are going to use for only few minutes, and then
never again.

--
Simone Bordet
----