Re: [jetty-dev] Seeking opinions on timestamps in version strings

Does this apply to every bundle you release? As you may know, we in the Eclipse Platform "prereq" some of your bundles from a p2 repository you create, and we would need 4 part version numbers in order to keep things straight. At least easily. For this exact case, I am not sure what implications/impact would be of "going down" (in terms of OSGi-like versions). That is, I am not sure if it just complicates things, or makes things impossible.

As far as I know, you only produce the p2 repository after you release something, so it may not be an issue. But, if that ever changed -- say, you wanted us to test something before it was released -- then I am pretty sure we would would not be able to do that with a 3-field release version.

From:        Joakim Erdfelt <joakim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        "Jetty Dev @ Eclipse" <jetty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jetty Users @ Eclipse" <jetty-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date:        01/05/2016 12:35 PM
Subject:        [jetty-dev] Seeking opinions on timestamps in version strings
Sent by:        jetty-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

It's 2016.

Lets drop the timestamps from our versions strings on stable releases.
(pseudo snapshot/timestamps are still present outside of maven central)

That would mean our next release could be just "9.3.7"

Soliciting feedback on this proposed change.

Joakim Erdfelt / joakim@xxxxxxxxxxx_______________________________________________
jetty-dev mailing list
jetty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx