Re: [jetty-dev] NPE on PushCacheFilter

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Michele Rossi <michele.rossi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1) most requests arrive without a referrer thus making it impossible for the
> PushCacheFilter to create associations (Chrome  43.0.2357.132 m):
>
> (With caching enabled)
>
> 15:10:00.233|DEBUG|  o.e.j.s.PushCacheFilter|| GET
> /js/lib/gridx/gridx/nls/grid-all_en-us.js referrer=null conditional=true
> 15:10:00.426|DEBUG|  o.e.j.s.PushCacheFilter|| GET /js/assets/images/ion.svg
> referrer=null conditional=true
> 15:10:00.488|DEBUG|  o.e.j.s.PushCacheFilter|| GET
> /js/assets/templates/serviceStatus.html referrer=null conditional=true
> 15:10:00.565|DEBUG|  o.e.j.s.PushCacheFilter|| GET /js/favicon.ico
> referrer=https://lnd-cat-test-lnx-64.iontrading.com:9443/js/
> conditional=false
> 15:10:00.566|DEBUG|  o.e.j.s.PushCacheFilter|| Not associated
> /js/favicon.ico to /js/, outside associate period of 30000ms

No, it's just a logging quirk: if the request is conditional, the
referrer is not looked up and shows as null in the log statement, but
that does not mean the referrer is absent.
If the request is conditional, we don't push since it's a sign that
the browser has the resource in cache already.

> I haven't had time to fully understand the problem but given the lack of any
> performance improvements and the messages I see on the logs I would tend to
> think that Push is not really working as expected.

Well, we have tests that show it's working, and we know it gives
performance improvements in certain use cases.
Given your interpretation of the logs is wrong, I would be cautious to
draw conclusions on whether push is working or not, or whether it
provides performances increases or not.

Also, if you're testing HTTP/2 against HTTP/1.1 over TLS, make sure to
compare them using the same TLS cipher. If you use HTTP/1.1 with a
weaker and faster cipher, won't be fair with HTTP/2 that uses stronger
and slower ciphers.

--
Simone Bordet
----