Re: [jetty-dev] Can Jetty ProxyServlet handle HTTPS?`

Thanks a lot Greg, this makes it more clear to me.

My need is this one (as described in another email): I'd like to mask some of the ajax responses returned by a third party product we acquired. This, to meet company privacy rules.

This means that I need to put "a man in the middle" to intercept the ajax responses and mask the data in some cases.

We use SSL/https to connect to the 3rd party product.

So my question is, if I use the proxy servlet as a transparent proxy, can I use it to modify the ajax responses?

Regards

Gilles

Gilles,

there are two type of proxies: client configured and transparent.

For client configured proxies, HTTPS connections will be converted to a CONNECT request by the client and an end to end TLS channel created before any requests are sent.

For a transparent proxy, it is the server that decides to proxy the request and it can do so equally for http and https.  The TLS connection will be terminated on the proxy server, so it must be able to provide the certificate for the origin server (or be the origin server).  If the outgoing link is to be TLS, it is a different TLS session and the proxy is a man-in-the-middle.

ProxyServlet can definitely be used in this mode.

cheers