Re: [jetty-dev] Jetty Websocket Impl

Hi Joakim and Gunnar,

Thanks for your input. I'm going to try to summarize below to figure out what to do next.

On 3/3/2014 6:01 AM, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:
<stuff deleted>

Starting with Jetty 9.1 we now support JSR-356 / javax.websocket and can function as either a client or server.

Scott, the contrib you received is for a dead-end API. Would encourage you to either embrace Jetty 9's WebSocket API or javax.websocket.* API.

Ok.   Questions:

1) Is the javax.websocket.* api finalized/approved (is this essentially JSR-356...or are there other/competing websocket specs?). Basically I'm just asking how likely is the spec to change over next couple of years.

2) I assume from what you say Joakim that the 9.1 impl (that supports JSR-356) has jetty packages that provide impls of javax.websocket. I don't know the JSR-356 spec [yet]...so I don't know what's appropriate...but are the jetty packages referenced directly by client code? (i.e. exported). Or does client code only use javax.websocket?

3) I also assume that for the 9.1 API that the client and server/servlet are separated...at the package level and at the bundle level?

I'll look into the 9.1 api myself to answer 2 and 3...but this then leads to the important question...given Gunnar's post:

Not sure if you know but Jetty left the release train repo. However, they are still in the repo because Gyrex includes them and will continue to contribute them to the repo. For Luna it will likely be 9.1 or higher. But AFAIK Equinox HttpService still requires Jetty 8.

What is the plan for Luna WRT Jetty version in Equinox+Eclipse (HttpService impl, help, etc)? Will it be Jetty 9.1, 9.0, or Jetty 8, or some other version? This may be a question more for Equinox than for you/Jetty team...I don't know how such things are decided. I see from looking at org.eclipse.jetty.* in I20140227 integration build that it's currently 8.1.14. If it's going to change (to 9.1 or something else), then when is that scheduled to happen?

Obviously, if we are going to release this new websocket-based remote services provider in Luna (that's our plan), then ideally we would use the 9.1/javax.websocket API (not dead end)...and hope that it's stable/standardized...but if 9.1 is not planned/not going to be in Luna, then that's a tougher choice.

Thanks,

Scott

Back to the top